Friday, January 30, 2009

Jan 29
Cadiz. SO HAPPY TO SEE LAND. Don’t get to bed till 3 because I am up talking with the girls. Tired, but it was worth it. Work out in the morning while everyone is in line. Gym is empty for once. Disembark. LAND! SPAIN!
Wander Cadiz for hours and hours. Quaint town. Pretty beach. With pretty girls Hannah Alicia and Caroline. Laugh all day long. Churros and chocolate. Café. Tapas. Paella. FREE WIFI. So Spanish right now.
Go to flamenco night. Really skinny tall Spaniard guy that looks like Johnny Depp and whose eyes sear into my soul. The women are hot too. Truly an art form and very glad I went. Baby bull fight, little cow was so cute. Rode over there with Douglas who showed me that there may be one or two guys on this voyage interested in things other than drinking and hooking up. Maybe. More new friends. Hung out with Taylor. Love her.
In bed late again, up early again.

Jan 30 in the wee hours of the AM
Today was a quality day. I visited Sevilla which was beautiful. Gorgeous. Quaint. Really reminded me of little neighborhoods of Italy and pathways in Guanajuato, MX. I got some great pictures and made a ton of friends. There were two two hour bus rides today and I slept right through both of them. Last night was kind of deadzo in Cadiz so I skyped mom and Anthony for a little while then came home, but still probably only got about four and a half hours sleep due to the early wake up call.
Had breakfast with Smith and Doug, caught the bus, was able to nab a seat by myself, slept the whole damn way after watching the gorgeous pink sunrise come up over the water. Got there, hopped out to see La Plaza de Espana. Gorg. Then over to La Catedral de Santa Maria. More gorg. Remains of Cristobal Colon, or Christopher Columbus for you English folk. Walking the streets was my favorite part, the alleyways are small, only scooters can fit through or daring cars that press us up against walls. The doors and walls are painted vibrant colors. The buildings take on personalities of their own. Vines stretch out from windows onto the streets, inviting glances and thoughts of days that passed long before our own time.
Lunch was in a very sweet restaurant. We hung out with the animals mounted on the walls, the bull head was my personal favorite. I ate with Smith and Heather. Smith has a great camera with him, as do some other kids on the trip, and I love looking at his photos. We had a glass of Spanish wine, delicious pan, pollo con patatas y ajo, jamon, champinones (didn’t like those much), calamari, y un postre. Deliciosa! Talked about celeb gossip and specifically Perez Hilton during lunch and immediately regretted it. Bimbo.
Sevilla is all about oranges. Spain is all about oranges. Orange trees everywhere. The aroma is wonderful. Spain is also all about stray cats.
Next was the Alcazar, originally a Moorish building. Lots of Moorish buildings. Need to remember that for my art class. Beautiful. Orange trees everywhere. Orange trees are Seville’s thing. I can just imagine how it looked in its glory days… turquoise and blues splashed all over the walls, just vibrating with color.
Everyone in our group is really mature. The guys ask intelligent questions like, “Donde esta los gypsies?” and pretend to be crucified under a statue of the crucifixion. Changing the way Europeans see American youth one mature act at a time.
Another bus ride. Another nap.
Got to Cordoba. Checked into hotel. Roommate girl Marlee. Know her, sweet. Walk around two for two hours with new friends, TJ, Thomas, Sam, Beth, and Marlee. TJ is from Boston, subsequently I talked a lot about Melissa and Bedford like I know what I am talking about. Found the Forever 21 of Spain, Zara. Must go back. Loved it. I ask how phone cards have been working for everyone and Thomas tells me he doesn’t have one because he won’t be talking to his parents, that they’re happy he’s gone and having the time of their lives. Mental note: Thankful to have parents that love and miss me, I love my mom and dad and will call them a lot because I love them!
Get back to hotel. My feet. Are. Killing. Me. My left big toe is literally about to crack off. Anthony- wore the Reeboks. I think they did okay since I wore tall socks, but seriously, certain parts of my feet are dead. Dead. Dunzo. I have two more days of this so I need to step it up. My right calf is definitely pulled.
Showered and ate dinner. Called my mom who refuses to answer her phone. Looking good. Go out to the bars with everyone. I AM THE ONLY ONE WHO SPEAKS ANY SPANISH. AT ALL. And I had the best night ever. I talked to locals and was once again impressed with how much Spanish I actually do know once I let go of being scared of being wrong. The Spanish men are taken with my wit. Get them to dance with the girls. Go to another bar. Order drinks for everyone. Make more friends. I am the only one that speaks a lick of Spanish. Thoroughly enjoying it. Meet a girl named Danielle from Alabama that I think I love. She is funny. She is gorgeous. She is engaged. She is 22. Learning new things every day. She inspires me to be who I want to be. “A girl should do what she wants.” Damn straight, Danielle, I need to start doing that.
Leave bar, early again tomorrow, goodnight.

1 comment:

Jan Anthony said...

LOLOLOLOLOLOLO HAHAHAHAHAH

Great times Jillian! Loved reading your blog! Too funny! I love the way you have stopped complete sentences. LOL Your writing is excellent and creative as usual. I do miss and love you sweetheart and I do not refuse to answer your calls baby. You just keep missing me or I am in the gym.

So glad you are having the time of your life honey. Keep it up!
Received your pics. Too cute!
Where was the beach writing taken?
Love it!

luv,
momma xox