Sunday, January 25, 2009


Jan 25
Last night got my assignment for vicarious voyage, I have a first grade class in Hillsborough, CA. No idea where that’s at. My partner didn’t show up so I’m hoping to be assigned to a new one. Also, the teacher of the class’s email didn’t work, so I have to email the guy about that. Anyways, I think my theme is going to be food. I mean honestly what else would my theme be?
I also went to Newspaper Writing, but apparently the guy who created the club didn’t feel like he or she needed to show up, so it was me and a couple other chicks and the communication coordinator, so I got his info down and I’ll probably be posting some stories on the SAS official blog.
Another pub night last night, pretty good times, Caroline and I came back to the room and talked about life for a good hour haha. Didn’t sleep barely at all again but surprisingly I stayed awake for both global studies and Islam today. Global studies was really interesting. It was taught by a guy who has written sixteen books about Spain and he showed beautiful pictures of the places I will soon be visiting! Islam wasn’t that interesting, but I find that if I think about something that interests ME, usually not something even remotely connected to the class, I can stay awake! So that’s the plan.
I didn’t get the fun little island excursion I signed up for in Mauritius, so now Hannah and I are doing a hiking and beach trip that day. Should be a good time.
It’s getting chilly outside now, as I knew it would. The seas have been really calm for about three days now, but the swells today are ginormous!! Working out was an especially interesting time today… one minute I was running downhill, the next I was running uphill. It’s crazy to look at the ocean out here. It just goes on and on forever, huge swell after swell. And the ship dips extremely side to side. But the sea is calm, just always moving towards some far off destination.
I’m realizing all of the things I left at home now.
-watch (actually really need this one)
-white sports bra (how did I forget that??)
-video camera (did I deliberately leave that at home I can’t remember??)
And I have already lost a pair of sunglasses, the new black ones I bought to replace the white ones. Ugh. Now I only have my thug life ones.
I had a very strange dream about my grandma last night… made me miss her a lot. I just can’t believe I won’t be getting any letters from her while on this trip.
Thanks for your emails guys, they really really make my day.
The whale watch continues…

4 comments:

Jan Anthony said...

Hillsborough, California
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Hillsborough, California

Location in San Mateo County and the state of California
Coordinates: 37°33′37″N 122°21′23″W / 37.56028, -122.35639
Country United States
State California
County San Mateo
Incorporated (town) 1910
Area
- Total 6.2 sq mi (16.1 km2)
- Land 6.2 sq mi (16.1 km2)
- Water 0 sq mi (0 km2)
Elevation 322 ft (98 m)
Population (2000)
- Total 10,825
- Density 1,746/sq mi (672.4/km2)
Time zone PST (UTC-8)
- Summer (DST) PDT (UTC-7)
ZIP code 94010
Area code(s) 650
FIPS code 06-33798
GNIS feature ID 1659735
Hillsborough is an incorporated town in San Mateo County, California, in the San Francisco Bay Area. Hillsborough is one of the wealthiest places in America and has the highest income of places in America with populations of at least 10,000. It is located seventeen miles (27 km) south of San Francisco on the San Francisco Peninsula, between Interstate 280 and SR 82 (El Camino Real). The population was 10,825 at the 2000 census. The town is served by Hillsborough City School District. Hillsborough is home to some of the Bay Area's wealthiest people, and the landscape is dominated by large estates and mansions; the city enforces a 2,500-square-foot (230 m2) minimum house size and half-acre minimum lot size to preserve exclusivity.[1] As a result, there are no apartments, condominiums or townhouses in the city limits; however, it is not unusual for multi-million dollar mansions along the eastern edge of Hillsborough to face condominiums in neighboring Burlingame, with which it shares ZIP code 94010. Hillsborough was a piece of the Mexican Land Grant Rancho San Mateo purchased by William Davis Merry Howard, son of a wealthy Hillsboro, New Hampshire shipping magnate, in 1846. Howard settled his family in this area, which attracted wealthy San Franciscans. In 1910, Hillsborough residents voted

Hi Jilly,

Looking forward to your SAS Newspaper BLOG! By the way I laugheed 3 times from your last blog. too cute!
Love, Momma

Jan Anthony said...

Baby,

Why are you not sleeping well?
Is it the bed?
Is it the pillow?
Is it the brightness of the room?
It is the company?
Is it the pub and fun?
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm what could it be?
mom

Jan Anthony said...

Hi Jillian! I'm having alot of fun reading your blob. Some of the details you are sharing, i.e. the calmness of the ocean, jogging up and down hill, the weather etc., may seem mundane to you, but we are hungry for those details here at home. You left your movie camera and accessories here and apparantly we cannot mail you any packages. If there are any other options please let us know. In the meantime, keep on enjoying yourself, study hard, and know that we love you. Love Dad.

Joe Anthony said...

Hi from Dad!