Tuesday, January 27, 2009


Jan 27
I have met some really cool people in the last couple of days and am looking forward to meeting more on my trip in Spain, because I won’t know anyone, at least not that well.
Oh yeah, tomorrow… SPAIN! We are all itching to get off the boat. We can’t believe we’ve only been here a week. Everyone is doing different things all over the country. Some are going to Madrid, others Barcelona, and some are just mixing it up like I am. Tomorrow I will be exploring Cadiz on my own, probably with the girls. At night I’m going to a flamenco show, then probably out clubbing. The next morning I head off on my SAS trip for three days. I’ll be visiting Sevilla, Cordoba and Granada. I’ll write more details about where exactly I’m going when I get back, but expect lots of buildings haha. I’ve always wanted to go to Spain, and it was actually my chosen study abroad location for a really long time. I know it is going to be a really beautiful country, as well as a huge cultural destination. “The New Europe.” So I guess now I get the best of both worlds… a glimpse of Spain as well as the rest of the world.
More whales spotted today. More disappointment for me. All I’ve seen out the window was a buoy. But even that was kind of cool after seeing nothing but water for days and days.
We are going to wake up very early tomorrow morning to watch the land come in. Some people have been saying we might even see land tonight, so maybe I’ll be staying up late instead.
We are also starting to plan out what we want to do in Morocco. It’s a little difficult for me to do what I want to do because I’m having dinner with a Moroccan family on the second night we are there, so it kind of cuts my traveling possibilities in half. But so far I’m thinking explore Casablanca for a couple of days with a big group of people we’ve got going (Taylor and her group of friends), go to the dinner, hitch a train that night to Marrakech, spend the third day in Marrakech, then travel early in the morning back to Casablanca. That way we won’t have any traveling on that third day and we can just sightsee. Alicia is doing a camel camping trip. Pretty sweet.
The independent planning is kind of exciting. In Namibia Alicia and I and a few other girls we’ve met through Nancy, another girl that goes to USD, are going to go skydiving in Swakopmund. Apparently there isn’t much to do in Walvis Bay so that’s where everyone goes.
Oh and I found my watch! Very exciting and essential news. White sports bra, sunglasses, and vid cam still MIA however. My mom says I left the vid cam sitting by the phone at home. Big surprise. But at least I have video capability on my camera, about a half hour’s worth, so that should suffice to take footage of some very special things. And I think I saw some kid with my sunglasses but I can’t exactly say they’re mine because they are pretty generic.
Our ship has a fully equipped spa on it, like massages, facials, sauna, full hair salon, all that. So I’m gonna hit it up and get my eyebrows done today haha. After I work out.
I met my Vicarious Voyage partner last night, Phillip, and he was cool with the theme of food, thank god haha. So I’ll be trying to collect pictures of food, menus, other things to send over to the kids. He says he isn’t a very creative guy either though so those poor kids are in for some poorly drawn diagrams and four-year-old boy writing.
Pub night last night was a good time, Caroline and I had a great hour long talk about life again, and basically I just want to say again how very lucky I am to have found friends like I have in my sorority and that I am on a trip of a lifetime with some amazing women by my side. AXO’s bid day was Sunday and we are so excited to find out who our new girls are! It’s sad we won’t be around to get to know them for awhile, especially because this time last year was when I met Hannah and Caroline and Imelda and Carson and all those other girls that I am obsessed with.
No class for nine days now! Pretty exciting. I miss all of you and will probably update in a few days once I’m back from Spain! Adios!

You can’t tell me that you don’t miss Bobby, you can’t tell me that you don’t love Bobby, noooo mooooore…..

No comments: