Saturday, June 7, 2008

GUAD!!!

I am just finishing up a delicious ice cream from the handmade ice cream shop around the corner. I am sitting in my room at my house in Guadalajara. We are in the Jalisco district in a rich neighborhood. My house is a freakin pent house. It's huge and really pretty. Our mama is named Toni. She is so so sweet and welcoming! Really a great woman. So far I've met almost all of her family, a few of which live here, including her husband, mother who is 87, and two son. Grandma is so feisty. She proudly told us that she was 87, and she shushed me when I tried to tie the shows of the resident two year old, Marietta. Her mom is Angelica, Toni's daughter. Angelica also has a 7 year old son named Pablo. The kids are cute, I hope to see them often. It is hard to tell who actually lives here and who doesn't, since they are in and out all of the time.
My first couple of days have been pretty exciting. Jaclyn and I got to our house and picked our room first, and there's some pretty sweet guns and knives and crossbows on the walls. The house is so eclectic, there are knick knacks everywhere. Definitely combination of old people/70s/Latin style. There is a bathtub that can fit four people. You know we're gonna all try it out at once! Mama gave us our house rules, don't come in after 3, no boys in the bedroom, let us know if you'll be missing a meal or coming home late, y mi casa es su casa. Pretty simple.  Apparently a girl last year snuck boys in, NO BUENO!!!!
This morning was our first day of school. We woke up around 7:15 from the loud ringing bells from the church down the street. Sleeping was interesting. The bed is ROCK HARD and it is sweltering hot at night. Also our fan creaks nonstop. But then Jaclyn fixed it this morning. Oh well I have to wake up around 7 every morning anyways. We went out to our bus stop ten minutes early today and guess what.. we STILL missed it. So we had to take a mad taxi ride to school. After that we had orientation and I went to classes and made new friends and explored ITESO, my school. It's really pretty, I'll write more about it later.
After, we took the bus home, and we were SWELTERING HOT. It is an hour ride home and an hour ride there. FIRST AND LAST. Sucks so much. It's ok because I guess that gives me more time to study on the way there and/or sleep.
We just got home from our first night of clubbing! So so so fun. We got a free ride there and a free ride back, both from locals! And now I think we've made local friends so they can take us out. SWEET!!!!
Okay, buenas noches!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Hi Jillian!

I am so excited to read your blog and imagine all the places you are experiencing! If you can, please post some photos! It sounds beautiful! Your Mom just sent me a great photo of Jess and the ocean in Cabo! Have fun! Love ya,
Aunt Kathy