Sunday, April 26, 2009

ship of wonders


God, life is so so good.

Day seven on this eight day stretch. WHAT??? I just freaked out as I typed that. How is that possible?

It’s 9:15 a.m. I woke up for breakfast. But I stayed up until 4:30 a.m. talking about life with Doug, so I am about to go back to bed. Which is fine, because today is a study day, and let’s face it, I won’t start studying until at least 3.

We had our final global studies test yesterday, THANK GOD. It was hard and made me angry but all I need is a B so I’m hoping to get that.

This last week has been absolutely fantastic. My heart is aching with the fact that this coming to an end so absurdly fast.

I’ll write about Hawaii soon, and then FINALLY finish up with India, perhaps after my final tomorrow, but for now I want to write about the talent show Greg and I performed in, like, a week and a half ago.

So we did a rendition of “No Land” and called it “On Land.” It was a compilation of three songs, “Somewhere Out There” from Fieffel Goes West, “Disturbia” by Rihanna, and of course, “No Air” by Jordin Sparks and Chris Brown. Here it is!


(Somewhere Out There)

Somewhere out here, in Pacific moonlight
We’re all reminiscing, from Cadiz to pub night

Somewhere out here, we’re all saying a prayer
The ship will do a 180, some more preports we’ll all share

But even though the end is near, the voyage is almost done
from ping pong shows to communism its been a lot of fun

And when we’ve had four drinks at night, and our inhibitions low
It’s insane to think how far that we have come since Moroccoooooo

(Disturbia)

Off the ship in Morocco, things were getting started
The port was dirty as hell, it smelled like someone farted

Bought my mint tea for a buck, that’s how I do my barter
But don’t look him in the eye.. yea….

Headed south down the coast to Namibski
SAS Swakopmund party police get angry

Wild Dog-er’s trapped in bus, man that was crazy
Rented 4x4’s… just kidding!

Partied in Cape Town
Met our very own Mavis
ate some kudu
kept our eyes open for rapists
Table Mountain
No one said it was this hard
That’s what she said

Cuz in South Africa
You can drink the water
unlike in India
Where you could end up with some
Cholera
But washing in the Ganges equals
Diarrhea… diarrhea…

Made a turn toward the east, headed towards Asia
Ladyboys in tuk-tuks creep in Pattaya

Got a six dollar massage with happy ending
Was Mauritius even a port?

Floated to Vietnam
Got a suit made in some tunnels
And rode a cyclo
to Apocalypse Now
Then to Hong Kong
Took the tram to the peak
Gotta get rid of this dong… what she said!

And then in China
saw a really big wall
But couldn’t talk about it
Or you might get arrested
But not in Japan
Where free speech is accepted
Domo arigoto
Mr. Roboto…

(No Air)

Laaaaaand!

Tell me how I’m sposed to live on land… whoooaaaa
Luke Jones don’t you understand
No laaaaand

Got us out here heading towards the US
Reacclimating’s gonna be a test
Coming towards the end of SAS
I’ll miss Les, miss Les

Explorer, spring 09!
Went around the world 108 days man it blows my mind

Tell me how I’m sposed to breathe on land
Where there’s not more women than I can stand
How will I function with more men at hand
on land on land

Got us out here in the waters so deep
without waves rockin me I won’t sleep
Saying goodbyes will make me weep
On land on land

I’ll miss you…
Les McCabe….



HAHAHHAHHAHAH. We got another standing ovation. We had TWO costume changes. First we were in sweats, then we stripped, and underneath that I was wearing the full body panda suit I bought in Japan, and he was wearing traditional Muslim garb, just picture old men in Aladdin. The next change, we stripped out of that stuff into evening wear. It was great. I love Greg, he is really one of my favorite people on this ship, and we make a really good team.

Alright that has been enough energy expended for this morning. Goodnight.